Friday, May 8th, 2015 9:26 PM PDT
Jazz & Beyond
Spoken Word & Song
Gigs & Workshops
For booking, contact email@example.com
Saturday, March 29th, 2014 10:33 PM PDT
I've been signed to the Jazzed Media record label - home of many Grammy-nominated jazz musicians and vocalists - for release of my newest CD
"I Get A Kick: Cole Porter Reimagined" in January 2018!
Sign up for my mailing list below for record release news, gigs, and goodies!
Here's a pensive shot of me listening hard to playback with in the studio with drummer Jeff Marrs as we were recording this new release.
(for "Previous Gigs," see list below "Workshops and Classes")
Sign for fun gig at The Sound Room in Uptown Oakland, Calif.
“She totally captivated the audience. She is an originator, her arrangements are mesmerizing, and her band is great!”
- Gary Hamada, Jazz and Blues Company/KRML-FM, Concert Manager
“Fresh, very interesting, impressive: Lisa B is a brand-new Somebody. And the writing...I was lifted up...gorgeous."
- Jackie McLean, saxophone master
“An iconoclastic singer-songwriter…a poet, vocalist, and tunesmith who can work a room with energy…Like Joni Mitchell, she knows the value of lyrics that summon visions instead of cliches…”
- Michael Ross (msnbc.com, Vibe, Entertainment Weekly)
Saturday, March 29th, 2014 10:24 PM PDT
Get my monthly newsletter: special discounts and goodies, interesting blog posts, links to some of my latest creative work, AND a thank-you gift of a 10-minute phone clairvoyant reading or song download.
Watch for more workshops later this year on Mind-Body-Spirit Tools for Performers and Speakers!
Past participants had this to say:
"The information presented helped me to connect with my spirit and improved my confidence. I would recommend this workshop to all singers." - M.G.
"The workshop covered a wide range of topics and techniques that I can apply to my singing. The information was understandable from every level, beginning to advanced, and adaptable." - J.B.
"I really enjoyed the combination of energy and vocal work." - C.R.
"What a wonderful workshop today! What I appreciated most was that it was not your typical workshop — exercises, sing a song. It truly was a complete overview — mind, body, and spirit." - O.J.
"The workshop was amazing. I really enjoyed the guided meditations and learning about the chakras. Still thinking about it all!" - J.T.
"Great start to discovering the artist in myself." - T.H.
"Thanks for reconnecting me to my spirit self. I forgot the little girl who just loves to sing."
"I thoroughly enjoyed it and greatly appreciate the marrying of technique and spiritual/emotional awareness." - L.W.
Workshops and Classes - Previous
- "The Complete Singer: Spiritual, Practical, and Technical Tools to Help You Realize Your Musical Dreams (aka Mind-Body-Spirit Tools for Singers)": co-taught with Daria: Blue Bear School of Music, San Francisco, Feb. 2015; GuitarWorks, Novato, Calif., August 2014; and Lisa's Home, Oakland, Calif., May 2014
- "The Singer's Life: Where to Start (and How to Keep Going)": The Jazzschool, Berkeley, Calif., October 2011
- Poetry Writing Teacher: Anna Yates Elementary School, Emeryville, Calif., 2nd/3rd/4th Grades, Fall 2007 - Spring 2012, Fall 2014 - present
- Poetry Writing Workshop Leader: Mercy Housing After-School Program, Peanut Butter and Jamm Music Session for Kids, Spring 2010
- Poetry Writing & Performance with Musicians, Workshop Leader: Allendale Recreation Center, Oakland, Calif., Kids Ages 6 - 12 (including Final Performance w/ Paul van Wageningen, drums, and Aaron Shaul, bass), Summer 2008
- "Vocal & Energetic Techniques for Self-Healing & Finding Your Creative Path," Workshop Leader: Blue Bear School of Music, San Francisco, Workshop for Adults, co-taught w/ Vicki Burns, January 2008
- Program and Outreach Coordinator: Jewish Community Library, San Francisco, 2003-2004
- Guest Poet: Skyline Community College, San Francisco State University, Galileo High School (San Francisco), Soquel High School (Santa Cruz County)
- Workshop Leader/Poet & Performer: Foothill College Writers Conference, Summer 1995 and 1990
- Associate Director of The Poetry Center and Lecturer in Creative Writing: San Francisco State University - Two-year term, Fall 1989 - Spring 1991
Monday, June 1st, 2009 9:54 PM PDT
- 2nd Annual Bay Area JazzPoetry Festival, Berkeley
- 21 Grand, Oakland, Calif.
- Above Paradise Lounge, San Francisco
- The Albion, San Francisco
- Angelica's, Redwood City, Calif.
- Anna’s Jazz Island, Berkeley
- Armando's, Martinez, Calif.
- At Seventeenth, Oakland, Calif.
- Avonova, Oakland, Calif.
- Bartlett Hall, Union Square, San Francisco
- Berkeley Art Museum, University of California
- Berkeley Art Center, Rhythm & Muse Series
- Bison Brewery, Berkeley
- Blondie's, San Francisco
- The Blue Lamp, San Francisco
- The Blue Monkey Cafe, San Francisco
- Borders Books and Music, many stores, Northern Calif.
- Beyond Baroque, Venice, Calif.
- Bottom of the Hill, San Francisco
- Bud Shank Jazz Workshop, Port Townsend, Washington
- Cafe Gianlucca, New York City
- California Jazz Conservatory (formerly the JazzSchool), Berkeley, Calif.
- Cava 555, San Francisco
- The Clarion Cafe, San Francisco
- Club Muse, Albany, Calif.
- Coco Club, San Francisco
- The Coffee Mill, Oakland
- The Coffee Society, Cupertino, Calif.
- Das Klub/1055 Howard, San Francisco
- The Donnell Library, New York City
- E3 Playhouse, Santa Cruz, Calif.
- East Village Coffee Lounge, Monterey, Calif.
- The Elbo Room, San Francisco
- Expressions Gallery, Berkeley
- First St. Cafe, Benicia, Calif.
- Folcrom, San Francisco
- Foothill Community College, Los Altos, Calif.
- Hanno's in the Alley, San Francisco
- Harmony Festival, Sonoma County Fairgrounds, Santa Rosa, Calif.
- The Headlands Center for the Arts, Sausalito
- HEAR Music Store, Berkeley
- The Hotel Utah, San Francisco
- Hyatt on Union Square, San Francisco
- Hyatt Regency, Oakland
- Intersection for the Arts, San Francisco
- Jazz & Blues Company, Carmel, Calif.
- The Jazz House, Berkeley
- Jewish Community Center, Marin County, Calif.
- Kelly’s, Alameda, Calif.
- Kimball's Carnival, Oakland (Commissioned Poem and Performance, Memorial for Jazz Activist/KPFA-DJ Doug Edwards)
- The Lab Theatre, San Francisco
- La Mama Theatre (La Galleria), New York City
- La Pena, Berkeley
- Lake Chalet on Lake Merritt, Oakland, Calif.
- The Lobby, Oakland, Calif.
- Mason Street Wine Bar, San Francisco
- Max's Diner & Bar, Downtown Oakland, Calif.
- MIck's, San Francisco
- Montclair Jazz Festival, Oakland, Calif.
- Musically Minded Academy, Oakland, Calif.
- The Luggage Store, San Francisco
- New College of California, San Francisco
- New Delhi Restaurant, San Francisco
- New George’s, San Rafael, Calif.
- New Performance Gallery (ODC), San Francisco
- Our Lady of Fatima Villa, Saratoga, Calif.
- Paradise Lounge, San Francisco
- Pasand, San Francisco
- Pearl’s, North Beach, San Francisco
- Piaf’s, San Francisco
- Picante, Berkeley
- The Poetry Center, San Francisco
- Quiet Storm, San Francisco
- Rasputin’s Records, Berkeley
- Rasselas, San Francisco
- Redwood City Summer Concert Series, Calif.
- Rising Spirits Cafe, San Francisco
- Ritz-Carlton, Half Moon Bay, Calif.
- San Francisco Socialist School
- San Francisco State University
- Santa Cruz Poetry Festival
- Savanna Jazz Club, San Francisco
- Shanghai 1930, San Francisco
- Short on Attitude, San Francisco
- Skyline Community College, Pacifica, Calif.
- Small Press Traffic, San Francisco
- The Sound Room, Oakland, Calif.
- Spike's Speak, San Francisco
- Stanford University
- Tattoo Rose Cafe, San Francisco
- Tropical Haight, San Francisco
- Union Hotel, Benicia
- University of California, Santa Cruz
- Voulez-Vous, Berkeley, Calif.
- WomenROCK 5th Anniverary Concert, The Box Factory, San Francisco
- The WOW Cafe Theatre, New York City
- The Writer’s Center, Washington, D.C.
- Zebulon’s, Petaluma, Calif.
Wednesday, August 8th, 2007 11:29 PM PDT
Bookstores and Radio Stations
- Bonanza Books, Walnut Creek, California
- Bound Together Bookstore, San Francisco
- Cody’s Books, Berkeley
- Diesel Books, Emeryville, California
- Different Light Bookstore, San Francisco
- Grand Piano Bookstore, San Francisco
- Modern Times Bookstore, San Francisco
- Talking Leaves Bookstore, San Francisco
- Voice of America, International Broadcast
- KCSM-FM, San Mateo KPFA-FM, Berkeley KKUP-FM, Cupertino KSCO-AM, Santa Cruz KZSU-FM, Stanford University KALX-FM, Berkeley KPOO-FM, San Francisco KUSF-FM, San Francisco KUSP-FM, Santa Cruz KZSC-FM, Santa Cruz WLHC-FM, Raleigh, North Carolina
Wednesday, August 8th, 2007 3:24 PM PDT
- Grants and/or residencies from the Puffin Foundation, National Endowment for the Arts, Headlands Center for the Arts, Ucross Foundation, and Money for Women/Barbara Deming Memorial Fund
- Master's and bachelor's degrees in creative writing/English literature
- 5 CDS with airplay and charting on trade-reporter radio and web stations
- Author of The Transparent Body (Wesleyan University Press) and Anorexia (Five Fingers Poetry)
- Poems published in more than 60 literary magazines